Wednesday, September 5, 2012

The World is like a book and those who do not travel only read one page.

I just wanted to say that I really think the internet is really a fascinating place! We really are living in interesting times. It was just after Nomcon I realised the Anime community in Ireland has really come together. We really went from scattered fans to a tight nit community.

I recall at the age of 17 when I was only new to anime and there was a small Irish Anime forum named Eirtaku, then in 2005 came Eirtakon the first proper anime/manga convention in Ireland, then after Eirtakon came Nomcon, Arcadecon and Akumakon and the anime fandom exploded. Due to the scene getting bigger and cosplay getting more popular Cosplay Ireland was created, then came along other communities on Facebook and these all brought the Irish anime/manga community together.  I have been meeting alot of cosplayers which I have never met before. We all really came a long way. It is not only in Ireland but I feel thanks to the Internet I have met great and artistic people through this fandom. I even feel closer to manga artists who seemed light years away when I was younger and now with Twitter and social media we can become connected sharing art pieces and commenting. To takes things on a broader scale thanks to Twitter and Social media we are kept updated on what is happening in the world. Back in the 1960s people wowed over the birth of the television which was an open to day to the world and now we have the Internet.

If it wasn't for the Internet I would have found it harder to express myself, meet like minded folks and it would have been very difficult for the anime communities to come together.

The world is really in your bedroom or at the palm of your hand. The video below is Eric Whitacre Vitual Choir which was a video I used for my Social Media presentation in college. The video was a worldwide virtual choir of 58 countries worldwide taking part in this project in unity. It really potrays the world being connected. It really is amazing how we can work on projects when we are many moons away when it wasn't possible a good few years ago.

 


It really is incredible.



No comments:

Post a Comment